BEAMSLEY’S TRAVELING RESOURCES
CREDITABLE: Who Am I
Explorer (Road Scholar) | Travel Log: 77+ countries (6 continents) + All 50 US states… this is if I was counting;) Below are some of my traveling examples of where I have been exploring these past decades…
The World is my Living Room…
KNOW THYSELF: What Traveler Type Are You?
Three different quizzes to choose from:
- What kind of a traveler are you? A QUIZ
- Quiz: What Kind of Traveler Are You?
- Broad Search of Traveler Types: Google Search
LOCATION / PLACES: Where do you want to go?
Things to consider:
Cost / Expense
- Cost Tip:
- Travel to an expense place first then move to a cheaper destination is the better way to budget your money.
- Travel in a circle (Clockwise or Counterclockwise) from Entry/Departure airport to save money.
- Advance expense index data location: DoD Defense Travel Management Office Per Diem Rates Query
- Google Search: Travel Cost
- Hopper (app) (no ads) – A mobile application that uses big data (Three & half years of data) to predict (one year in advance) and analyze airfare (within $5). It provides travelers with the information they need to get the best deals on flights, and notifies them when prices for their flights are at their predicted lowest points.
- Hopper Info Video (04:12) on Bloomberg – Hopper App Takes the Guesswork Out Of Hidden Airfare Fees
- Wikivoyage – Public domain and user-contributed travel information.
Time of Year / Season / Weather
- Weather Tip:
- Cool to Warm destinations (More stuff to carry to less stuff)
- Best Time To Go – Best month to travel to some of the most popular cities. Get info on weather, cost of living, holidays, festivals, cafes and restaurants all in one …
- The Best Time To Visit – When To go – Best Weather & Climate
- US Weather Road Trip Planner – Get weather conditions for your road trip
- Google Earth (Standalone Program) – Weather (Quick way to see current conditions over a large area)
TRANSPORTATION: How are you getting around?
- Airfare Tips:
- Least costly days to fly: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
- Best time to Buy low-cost airline tickets: Tuesday 3pm Eastern Time.
- SeatGuru – Airline Seating Charts – Best Airplane Seats – The ultimate source for airplane seating, in-flight amenities, and airline information.
- If needed, FlyOnward – A Flight Ticket Rental Service. It provides you with international flight tickets (travel itineraries) with your name on them to use as proof of onward travel plans when you travel abroad. Why? Because in many countries around the world, you will not be allowed to enter as a tourist without proof of onward travel. Put simply, if you have a one-way ticket and no proof of future plans, you can be refused entry. The service gives you proof of onward travel, without the hassle of paying for expensive airfares upfront. You simply “rent” the ticket for a small fee.
- Momondo – Find cheap flights with momondo. We help you find and compare fares from 700+ travel sites, giving you access to the best rates for airline tickets online.
- Kayak – Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets … – Find and book cheap flights, hotels, vacations and rental cars. Search hundreds of travel sites at once.
- Google Flights – Choose your flight from a simple list of results, explore destinations on a map, and find travel dates with the lowest fare with Flight Search.
- FlyLC – Cheap Flights in Europe – All Routes and low fare Airlines
- Wikivoyage – Round the world flights
- Wikivoyage – Round the world overland
- AutoSlash (Car Rental) – Site that automatically lowers/switches your rate when prices drop
- Uber (Crowdsourcing) – We’re finding better ways for cities to move, work, and thrive. Download the app and get a ride in minutes.
- Lyft (Crowdsourcing) – Rideshare with Lyft. Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one. Download the app and get a ride from a friendly driver within minutes.
- RV –
LODGING: Where are you staying?
- Hostelworld.com – Online confirmed bookings for backpacker hostels around the world. City guides, sightseeing, entertainment and backpacking information for hostels and …
- CouchSurfing – Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch … A volunteer-based worldwide network connecting travelers with members of local communities, who offer free accommodation and/or advice.
- Airbnb (Crowdsourcing) – Rent unique accommodations from local hosts in 191+ countries. Feel at home anywhere you go in the world with Airbnb.
- HostelBookers – Hostels, Youth Hostels & Cheap Hotels – Hostels & cheap hotels available in over 100 countries worldwide. Backpackers, students and budget travelers get the best prices for youth hostels and cheap …
ACTIVITIES / EXPERIENCES (See, Do, Eat, & Drink):
- TripAdvisor (app) – Unbiased hotel reviews, photos and travel advice for hotels and vacations – Compare prices with just one click.
- AAA TripTik Travel Planner – A AA maps provide accurate routing for trips you’re planning.
- Wikivoyage – Review the ‘See’ | ‘Do’ | ‘Eat’ | ‘Drink’ | sections of location.
- Roadside America – A travel tools and guide to unusual attractions, tourist traps, weird vacations, and road trips in the United States.
- Meetup (app) – an online social networking portal that facilitates offline group meetings in various localities around the world. Meetup allows members to find and join groups unified by a common interest, such as politics, books, games, movies, health, pets, careers or hobbies.
- Airbnb Experiences (Crowdsourcing) – Book experiences designed and led by some of the most interesting people out there (aka Custom/Private Experience).
IT / TECHNOLOGY (COMMUNICATION):
- Scan important documents (passports, passport photos, Visas, credit cards (both sides), vaccination records, drivers license, etc.) and email them to yourself.
- Google Sheets – Spreadsheet: I like to plan things out day by day.
- Skype (app) – Free calls and cheap calls to phones – Make internet calls for free with Skype. Call friends and family on any phone with Pay As You Go and Pay Monthly subscriptions.
- Face Time – With FaceTime for Mac, you can make video calls to over Wi-Fi to someone else’s FaceTime-enabled iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
- Snapchat (app) – An image messaging and multimedia mobile application that lets you easily talk with friends, view Live Stories from around the world, and explore news in Discover.
- Smart Phone – Complete communication center with WIFI access to your email box, FB, and Instagram
- Computer / Tablet –
- Travel Technology Association (Travel Tech) – The History of Travel Technology
- InsureMyTrip – Travel Insurance Comparisons
- Leather Money Belt – Google Image Search
- US Travel Country Advisory
- Lonely Planet Travel Guides and Travel Information – Travel guides and guidebooks. Travel advice, tips and destination information to inspire you.
- Let’s Go Travel Guides – The Leader in Budget Travel – Young and budget-savvy travelers turn to Let’s Go for the freshest coverage, insider tips, and an authentic perspective.
- Wikivoyage – Public domain and user-contributed travel information.
- Italki – Learn a language online. A platform that connects language teachers and students.
- Google Packing List – Travel Packing List
- BackPack – My favorite design is a Meridian 75L/28″ backpack/wheel design from Osprey (+ Lifetime Guarantee)
- Tablet computers
- Primary Camera should be your Smartphone (My camera pictures are on Instagram) – As of December 24, 2016, I am using the Samsung Galaxy Edge 7
- Secondary Camera should be a GoPro or a Waterproof Camera with the highest Optical Zoom… As of December 24, 2016, I would choose this: PowerLead Gapo G050 Double Screens Waterproof 24MP Digital Camera 2.7-Inch
- Travel Adaptors
- Quick Drying Travel Towel
Travel Exchange Rates
- fxCheatSheet®: A pocket-sized rates table for travelers